Impact of human activities on the natural environment
- Live beings are typically adapted to their environment.
- Many human activities heavily disturb the natural environment, for example the extraction of resources, farming, the building of infrastructures...
- As a consequence, live beings might live in environments which are not adapted to them anymore.
- Human disturbances can be split in 2 categories: either human destroy the environment, or they act as predators.
- For example, artificial lighting creates a "forever day", but many animals need darkness to hide or hunt; the release of chemicals in ocean changes the physiology of fishes, such that males become females or the other way round; many animals are eating plastic because they think it is food.
- Human disturbances are the cause of the disappearance of many species.
Are we at the origin of a mass extinction?
Higher grades faster with the top ten skills.
BECOME YOURSELF 2.0
Click the skill title to see the corresponding lessons. Complete a skill with a quiz or checkmark.
1 SKILL A DAY
Gain knowledge and earn badges in just 10 minutes a day, delivered straight to your inbox. Get started
DISCOUNTGet "5 pay for 1" family discount, or ask for school/senior discount here.
Palo Alto, San Francisco, USA Finland - Sweden - Belgium - South Africa
Become member and get a skill overview poster with proven results on skill development.